LIST OF WORKS
2010 New Ghetto Music
- Orchestra, singer doubling violin, archival field recordings of Roman cantors from the 1940s
- Commissioned by Meet the Composer for the Knights Orchestra
- Premiere January 10-11, 2011 Baryshnikov Arts Center, NY
2009 Six Memos: 1. Lightness
- Chamber orchestra(Read by the Colorado Symphony Orchestra as part of the American Composers Orchestra Reading Sessions)
2008 Death will come and she shall have your eyes
- Rome Prize work for mezzo-soprano and string orchestra (Alda Caiello and the Roma Sinfonietta) to be premiered at the Villa Aurelia, Rome, May 30.
2007 A Wine-Dark Sea
- Commission from Music At The Anthology (MATA) for a 15’ string orchestra work premiered in March 2007 by The Knights Orchestra in New York City (3/22/07)
2005 It’s Not Me (it’s her)
- Full Orchestra (no percussion)
- Written in partial fulfillment for the 2005 John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship; Chosen to be read by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, 2/8/2006.
- Mezzo Soprano, chamber orchestra, live electronics configuration by a sound engineering team (Francesco Giomi, Kilian Schwoon, and Damiano Meaci) from Tempo Reale, Florence
- Premiered 6/6/01 at the Arena del Sole, Bologna Italy, Pietro Borgonovo, Director, Cristina Zavalloni Mezzo, Ensemble Quadrivium.
2000 In Sleep a King (revised 2010)
- Chamber Orchestra 7’
- Morton Gould ASCAP Young Composers Award (2000) premiered May 2000 by the Cornell Festival Chamber Orchestra, Mark Davis Scatterday, Director. Awarded the James Blackmore Prize from Cornell in 2000.
Wind ensemble 5’
Commissioned by Cornell University, David Conn, Conductor. Premiered May 9, 2004, at
Ithaca College, by the Cornell University Wind Ensemble, David Conn, Conductor. Awarded
the 2004 bi-annual ASCAP/CBDNA Frederick Fennell Prize for Young Composers of Concert
Band Music. Recorded and released by Rutgers Wind Ensemble, William Berz, conductor, on the album, Raritonality, Mark Masters records, 2006.
2011 We Were All
8’ chamber orchestra (vln I, Vln II, and bassoon double on soprano, countertenor and tenor voice) Commission by Adele and John Gray Endowment Fund
Alarm Will Sound (July 17, 2011) Mizzou New Music Festival
2009 Between Composure and Seduction
10’ baroque violin, double bass, percussion
Commission from Annalisa Zumthor for members of the English Baroque Soloists in Vals, Switzerland (June 20, 2009)
2009 Hvem er det (what is it)
10’ three female singers
Commission from Peter Zumthor. Premiered, Vals, Switzerland, June 20, 2009.
2009 Different Voices Together (fl, harp, perc, tape)
Jerome Composers Commission for MAYA Ensemble, NYC
2008 for Harvey and Paul (fl, gtr)
Premiere by Harvey Sollberger and Paul Bowman
Villa Aurelia, Rome (10/15/08)
2008 Stendhal Syndrome (cl, pno, vln)
Premiere by the Trio Volans
Commissioned by Museum De Lakenhal, Leiden, Holland
Villa Aurelia, Rome (1/3/08)
De Lakenhal Museum (2/21/08)
American Academy in Berlin (2/24/08)
Premiered by the Flux Quartet
Commissioned by Bargemusic in celebration of its 30th anniversary
Bargemusic, New York City (6/26 through 6/30/07)
2007 Three Piano Pieces
Premiered by Augustus Arnone
Merkin Hall, New York City (3/18/07)
2006 Knife in the Water
Clarinet solo 7’
Commissioned for Carol McGonnell
Premiere in Dublin, Ireland 9/06; subsequent performance at the American Academy in Rome 10/08
Accordion, Piano, Guitar, and Violin 6’
Commissioned by Barge Music, Brooklyn, New York.
2004 Ten Songs about New York City
Mezzo-soprano and piano 15’
Written at the Aaron Copland House Residency, commissioned by Cristina Zavalloni.
Premiered, Fall 2004, Bologna, Italy.
Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, String Quintet 8’
Commissioned by Ensemble X
Morton Gould ASCAP Young Composers Award (2004)
2003 The Gourmand’s Lament
Mezzo-soprano and piano 3’
Text by Caryl Avery
Premiered by Shane Lavesque, piano and Judy Kellock, voice, Cornell University 10/21/03
2003 Aspen Fanfare
Brass Quintet 2’
Premiered by students of the Aspen Music Festival and School, Aspen, CO (7/2004)
Violin and Piano 5’
Commissioned by Annebeth Webb, member, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
2002 Purity Guaranteed
Flute/Piccolo/Alto Flute and Violin 5’
Commissioned by the Morini/Porta Duo and premiered by Morini/Porta on their Italian tour 2002 and at the KlANGriffe Festival, Karlsruhe, Germany 2003.
2000 Death in Venice
Solo trumpet 7’
Premiered by Frank Gabriel Campos, Hackett Recital Hall, Ithaca, New York
Published by TuttiScore, Paris 2004
1999 Meditation on a Theme of Bach
Premiered at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, U.S. – Italy Exchange
Yotam Haber, Piano 11/19/99
1999 Rotolo Ripieno: a recipe
Clarinet, cello, and piano 10’
Premiered at Barnes Hall, Cornell University, 5/99. Heidi Hoffman, Cello, Lisa Leong, Piano,
Richard Faria, Clarinet.
Winner of the first Ensemble X Composition Competition
1998 Ossi di Seppia
Five songs for two pianos and soprano. 20’
Texts by: Montale, Heine, and Ratosh.
First performance, Indiana University, 5/98, Gitanjali Mathur, Soprano, Helane Anderson,
2007 – ongoing
Children’s opera based on a story by Roald Dahl with book by Bradford Louyrk.
2003 Incidental music for King Lear
Chamber ensemble combinations from solo clarinet to full orchestra. 15’
Composed at the Tanglewood Music Festival for Shakespeare & Co. production
summer and fall, 2003 Lenox, MA.
2002 The Second Bakery Attack
Chamber Opera – sinfonietta ensemble, Mezzo, Baritone, Chorus – Act I. 25’
Libretto by Sarah Lagrotteria based on the short story by Haruki Murakami (used with
permission of author). Produced and Premiered in Ithaca, NY. 4/6/2002. Cristina Zavalloni,
Role of Wife, Steven Stull, role of Husband, Cornell Chamber Singers, Festival Chamber
Orchestra, Yotam Haber, Conductor. Awarded the Cornell Barbara Trixell Vocal Composition Prize.
2009-10 Oro Macht Frei
60’ documentary on the Jews of Rome during WWII.
2000 In the Penal Colony
Short film score to a stop-motion claymation version of Franz Kafka’s story. 10’
Piano, Cello, and Percussion
Drew Hildebrand, Director.
First screening 5/14/00 Cornell University Young Filmmakers Festival
This film was made thanks to a Melville Shavelson Film Grant
2008 Sigmund Jähn Döner Kebab Stand
Looped electronic piece 23’
Part of Daniel Bozhkov’s installation piece at Skulturernpark Berlin_Zentrum